Follow Me on Facebook...

Friends

About Me

My photo
Hendersonville, United States

Thursday, January 10, 2008

So, I like to Sew...

Last year for Christmas, my wonderful husband surprised me and said that Santa had brought me a present. We had both agreed to not exchange gifts that year, so I was really surprised when there was something under the tree from Santa. It was a huge box and very heavy. I had no idea what it could possibly be.
It was a sewing machine!

I had been playing with the idea of teaching/reteaching myself to sew. I took Home Economics in High School where Mrs. Fentress and Mrs. Williams taught me how to use a sewing machine. I will never forget that I made this adorable fleece pullover jacket in that class. It was really well made, I remember...I just picked a TERRIBLE pattern of fabric. I was really proud of myself though. My grandmother tried to teach me how to stitch, but I just liked what a machine could do better.

Anyway, he got me the sewing machine and I have been teaching myself every since. I love to make things, even if they are ugly. The first thing I made was a shirt for Dexter...It was bad. But I loved that I could "make" something out of a roll of fabric. That is where the love began.


Josh had been talking to me about finding a hobby. I honestly think he just wanted me to find something to do that I enjoyed like he enjoyed playing paintball. I started working on a purse at that point...I still haven't finished it, but I am working on it.

So, I sew. That's my story.

I made some curtains for a wonderful friend, Beth, for her new home. She gave me the nicest compliment saying that every time she pulls in the driveway, she can see the curtains and immediately thinks of me and how much love I put into them. They actually turned out great! I was proud! I personalized them on the bottom, which I love to do.



Recently, I made some burp cloths for my beautiful new niece, Mary Elizabeth. I adored them and I know that Brea did too. She hugged me and immediately said, "OH MY...Did you make these!!!" I was so touched by her reaction.


Currently, I am working on a couple of dresses for Ms. Maggie and a Valentine's Day shirt for Ms. Anna. I will include some pictures of them, but they are not finished at all. I will update the pictures when I am done with them.
(Not of Anna's shirt...It is a surprise!)




Sewing has been a great way for me to relax and make something beautiful all at the same time. Even if it is ugly and I am the only person that likes it, I still made it from the heart.

~Please excuse the terrible photography...That is not my talent!!~

8 comments:

Alison B. said...

this is so awesome! i just spent the last 6 hours at a friends house sewing a dress for norah. i am hooked. i can't wait to make more. maybe i will give up photography and start making dresses.

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed.

Anonymous said...

Alie
I LOVE IT! You are so good. Oh, I am just so excited about knowing someone else who is into sewing. You Rock. Laura

Anonymous said...

Way to go alison! I also am reteaching myself how to sew. I took HomeEc in high school (1980) and made a horrible purple blouse. Wish I still had that thing. I haven't hardly touched a sewing machine since but am taking some classes at Sally Cheney's Sewing Center and hope to make pillows and curtains for Leah!!
Love ya,
Diane "Princess" Pendley

Karin said...

Alie, these things are beautiful. Robert told me to get a hobby too. Haha! I have been trying to make things to. In fact, I think I have finally mastered a pattern I made that is a diaper wipes carrying case. I love it even if it's not professional. I wish I lived close by, and we could have sewing parties. I doubt Molly would enjoy it. Love you!!
Karin

Anonymous said...

OK I swear Brea and I didn't get time on a sewing machine in HomeEc. I did learn in college and loved it too - to make something out of nothing was so fascinating for me. Great job on these - they are adorable. I wouldn't wanna get spit-up on 'em! I wish I'd get inspired (ie, find the time) to dig out my machine...

Anonymous said...

cute stuff! i love the zig-zags on the bird's legs and the curly-q's around the edge of the apple.

Anonymous said...

You should make burp cloths to put in Brea's sale! I would love to learn how to sew!